Wednesday 9 September 2015

6/9/15 Busman's Holiday Part 1

9lb bass


 11lb pollack

A cracking day's fishing with my mate Brian on board the Marruig-his 19ft Orkney.
I don't often fish on other people's boats but, being able to sit back, take it easy, and let somebody else do all the work and worrying is always a pleasure.
Brian took me to one of his 'secret' marks ( I would never dare ask where LOL) and we settled down to a morning of drifting with lures.
With relatively shallow water I opted for a light spinning rod and  40-60g Fiiish Minnows fished direct although as the tide increased I moved up to a 90g head on a 160 Minnow to stay 'vertical'
 It wasn't hectic fishing but cod,  bass to nine pounds ,and  pollack to eleven pounds (superb scrap ) hit the lures along with the ubiquitous pouting, some of them very fat indeed.
After thoroughly tiring ourselves out with the active stuff, we opted to 'drop the pick' on some 'messy' ground, chill out and sit watching bottom rods with cuttle baits.
We were after cod but a trio of feisty hard fighting conger turned up instead and , I didn't complain, I love the things.
Fresh cod baked with capers and home made chips for dinner made for a fitting end to a superb day-cheers Brian........always a 'blast' mate.

4.8 m tide, #15.

No comments:

Post a Comment