Wednesday 22 December 2010

22/12/10 Not for the faint hearted .


It almost been a month since i've caught a pike but it's not for the want of trying.I've had four blank trips out to Ham Corner and Streatham recently, and the cold snowy weather has got the better of me-not a sniff.For some strange reason, blanking locally is not bothering me half as much as It did on the Broads.I'm still enjoying just being out there especially in the extreme weather conditions we're experiencing,but it would be nice to put something in the net.
To be realistic, the snow melt can't be helping matters as the river temperatures are extremely low, but the clarity and levels haven't been bad which Is why I'm keeping at it.If I could get them, i feel that livebaits would help.When that next pike does eventually turn up, I'm sure it'll give me a great feeling of satisfaction.
Opportunities to get out in the boat have been limited by the weather and, when it has been possible, i've been on shift.Purchasing the boat when i did, and also lacking in experience on the open sea, I expected to have little chance of fishing through this winter and it's really not a problem. However I did get the chance for another 'test run' with Jack a few days ago when we sailed over to Selsey to check out distance, fuel consumption etc.
The trip took about 50 minutes at 12 knots average and the fuel consumed was minimal-a valuable learning exercise as the fishing grounds out there are pretty good come the warmer months and worth the trip.Tweaking the boat is just about done now though I will spend Christmas and Boxing day with her tucked up in the warmth of the fire station appliance bay, whilst I programme the GPS. I'll have nothing better to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment